Sunday, March 13, 2016

My Ordination Experiences (part 2)



Image from Yelp.com (Wat Padhammachart)
Before going to Dhammakaya, the temple I went to gave me a good basic foundation of Buddhism. Before going to the temple, my understanding of Buddhism was very little.

          (Understanding of Buddhism as a child before age 10)
                    1. Bow 3 times to Buddha
                    2. Bow 3 times to monks (people wearing orange)

Funny story in my childhood. Our family went to Thailand and it was during the monsoon season. It was raining very hard outside as we drove somewhere. I saw a monk out in the rain directing traffic so I bowed to him.

     Mom: Why are you bowing?
     Me: There is a monk outside
              (Mom looks out the car window and sees a police officer in a bright orange raincoat)
     Mom: That's not a monk.


From that first ordination, my basic Buddhism has increased to:

          1. Pay respect to the Triple Gems (Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha)
          2. Keep 5 precepts
                   -No killing
                   -No stealing
                   -No Sexual misconduct (adultery)
                   -No lying
                   -No drugs or alcohol
          3. Make more merit by giving, keeping precepts, and meditation.

From ordination, no matter what temple you join or go to, ordination has benefits to help you have some knowledge in how to live life more successfully and to have a guide in how to live your life morally and be loved by everyone you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment