Friday, March 4, 2016

Heart Warming Environment

From this point on, I would like to tell you my story of all the experiences I can remember from the first time I walked into the a Dhammakaya Temple branch in Azusa, California to visiting the Dhammakaya Temple in Thailand and present day interactions with Dhammakaya monks, staff, and laypeople.

So let us go take a nice trip into the past where I was still a young boy.  It was March 1998 if I remember correctly, the first time my family walked into the Dhammakaya International Meditation Center (DIMC) in Azusa, California.  That year, there was a lot of bad news media in Thailand about this temple, but from our first contact, it was nothing like the media said.  My mother raised us to not believe everything you hear, rather to think about what they say, contemplate and rationalize in your mind, then make a decision.  If while rationalizing this information and it doesn't seem to add up or make sense, then go and find out for yourself.  So that is exactly what my parents did, they decided we should go in and take a look.

The news in Thailand said that only wealthy people would go to this temple, so we dressed up in a fairly nice semi-formal, casual attire (we wanted to look presentable).  As soon as we walked in, we saw all the laypeople wearing humble clean white clothes and a heart warming smile on their faces. We felt like we just came to a family reunion.  Everyone welcomed us and even took time to show us around.  We came in right before lunch so we could offer food to the monks.

We were pleasantly surprised to see children at the temple.  I was eleven years old at the time and having more friends outside of school made the temple that much more appealing to myself and to my family.  Increasingly surprised that they had a short meditation and Dhamma sermon for the kids so we could have a good foundation in meditation and morality.  That day I learned how wonderful it is to be with people who want to do good deeds together.

11 comments:

  1. Until today many people are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope to keep sharing my story. People should know the truth about Dhammakaya Temple, not just follow the media that is misinformed

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely blog to read, I am waiting for you part 2 and 3,4,5 …………

    Your family must be proud of you.

    Rejoice in all your merits

    Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for following. I am glad to help do my part

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely blog to read, I am waiting for you part 2 and 3,4,5 …………

    Your family must be proud of you.

    Rejoice in all your merits

    Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read more.
    A big sadhu from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, I'll try to keep posting once a day

      Delete
  5. May I say "สาธุค่ะ". Nice story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it is the truth. My own personal experiences that I am sure many of my friends had the same experience when they went to Dhammakaya Temple

      Delete
    2. Thank you and it is the truth. My own personal experiences that I am sure many of my friends had the same experience when they went to Dhammakaya Temple

      Delete