Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Dhammakaya Meditation

I have mentioned many times how Dhammakaya will teach us a wonderful tool of meditation, but I never talked about it much in these blogs.

Meditation is a wonderful tool that can used by anyone no matter what race, religion, or social status. Truly anyone in the world can benefit from practicing meditation.

The Dhammakaya Technique is very simple to practice. There are two main rudimentary steps: relax the body and then focus the mind at your center. The center of you body is a point in the middle of your abdomen. Two finger widths above naval level. I recommend going to learn with an instructor as it is easier to understand when trying it out yourself.

From my experience, meditation alone has made me a very calm and happy person. Throughout school, my friends have always seen me very happy and calm. I never realized how calm and happy I was compared to my friends until one of them pointed it out. She said she had never seen me mad before. When most of my friends were stressing over tests or finals, I would be calm and cheerful. I realized that the tool I have been using was meditation. From learning how to do meditate, you can meditate anywhere and anytime while doing anything. You could be meditating while you eat, work, and even drive (just don't close your eyes). Meditation is not limited to a seated position either. You could be walking, running, exercising, painting, skating, and the list goes on and on. Once you know how to do meditate, you can easily integrate the simple points of being calm, focused, and relaxed to every aspect of your life.

One example closer to the present. Not long ago, I was taking a Calculus course (high level math). Before going to class, I had a some extra time so I decided to meditate for a few minutes. My professor came and started explaining how to do some equations on the board. After he finished his explanation and asked everyone if they understood, he decided to quiz us. Pop quiz had one question. It turned out to be the exact question he wrote on the board. I finished answering the question very quickly and walked up to hand in my quiz. The professor looked at me and asked if I had a question. I said no, I'm done. I think he was pleasantly surprised how well I absorbed his teaching. This is my example of how even a short amount of meditation can help you in studying.

Overall, I thank Dhammkaya Temple and its branches around the world (DIMC) for teaching meditation to the people. It is truly an invaluable tool that can help us all in our lives to have success in all things we intend to pursue.

1 comment: